Friday, May 13, 2011

Assassin's Creed: Revelations seems to bring more of the same gameplay elements as well as the same aging characters.

Is it just me, or is Ubisoft just running out of ideas? Last November when Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood was released, I thought that this was clearly the end of our time with our beloved Italian assassin, Ezio. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ezio, but we’ve spent the last 2 games switching off between him and Desmond and I would like to see another time period to explore and another assassin to mess with, which is why when I saw that Ubisoft announced Assassin’s Creed: Revelations and that it would be in the new Game Informer, I thought to myself “Wow, this could be interesting. Another Assassin’s Creed game, I wonder what time period they’ll go to?” But then I find out that they are sticking with Ezio again. It's not a surprise to me to be honest. But I really don't think that you can do much with Ezio anymore. At least we get to see Altair again. That should be nice. 

At least we get a new city. Revelations’ host city is none other than the history city of Constantinople. The city will be split up into 4 districts, Constantine, Beyazid, Imperial and Galata. You will also be able to go to the Cappadocia region of Turkey. I love what this series does with the setting. The scenery is absolutely beautiful and it it’s always fun to run around and jump off the buildings into the conveniently placed haystacks. If I can’t get over the Ezio and Altair thing, at least it will be pretty to look at.

Gameplay mechanics seem to be roughly the same. The multiplayer will be returning from Brotherhood, So will the Borgia tower mechanic. New gameplay features include the hookblade which can be used as a weapon, or used as a form of transportation on the various ziplines across the city. Ezio (and I assume Altair) will be able to make over 300 different bombs over the course of the game. I personally think that’s over kill, but nevertheless, I’m sure many people will find that useful. Eagle vision has been tweaked and renamed “Eagle Sense” giving you the ability to focus on certain characters, watch their movements, predict them, and plan an ambush. Every Assassin’s Creed game seems to add new features to the game, but they never do a complete overhaul. This follows the same path in that respect. I don’t see a problem with this only in that the room for improvement gets smaller every time a game is released. But with the impending Assassin’s Creed 3 looming around the corner, possibly being released next year, I think that that game will showcase what this game and all the other games do right.


           Assassin’s Creed: Revelations is going for a November release. If it were any other game, I would be worried. But when Brotherhood came out a year after Assassin’s Creed 2 and knocked my expectations out of the water, I learned never to underestimate Ubisoft. Although, that doesn’t automatically mean that the game will be a success. But I’m sure that people will buy it, and I’ll be one of those people. I can’t help but look forward to this game despite all of my qualms with the character choice of Ezio and Altair. All we can hope for is that Ubisoft will do what it’s good at, put out a quality product.

No comments:

Post a Comment